I have been extremely busy with wrapping presents lately and knitting up items that are to be gifts. So busy, that I have been slacking when it comes to writing you! It’s not for lack of excitement over here, though, of course.
I have not been much in the mood for anything food-wise in our house the past few nights. I have no idea what’s going on – I’m just not craving what we already have. Since I really dislike eating fast-food or ready-made food, I decided to play around a bit with the baking ingredients I have on hand. I came to the conclusion it was to be a “breakfast for dinner” kind of night! I had all of the ingredients that, in my mind, would suit an awesome tasting french toast. It was incredibly easy to put together and tasted as good as I expected it to. Plus, it’s customizable as always.
GF French Toast
- 4 Slices of Gluten-Free bread (try this one )
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 C Almond Milk
- 1/2 TSP Maple Extract
- 1 TSP Ground Cinnamon
- 1 TSP Nutmeg
- 2 TBSP Butter (Use Earth Balance brand for dairy-free vegan!)
Preheat a skillet on a low/medium heat setting with the 2 TBSP butter. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and maple extract until thoroughly combined. Cut the bread slices into strips (if desired – you can also leave the bread whole). Dip each slice into the mix in the bowl, covering all sides, and place onto the skillet. Fry each side until browned and slightly crispy on the outside (this took about 5 minutes per side for me). Remove from the skillet and place onto a plate to enjoy!
– Use a dipping container and put pure maple syrup inside for dipping OR sprinkle powdered sugar on top of the french toast!
– Use whole slices of the bread instead of strips if not dipping
– Try different brands/kinds of bread until you are satisfied with the texture and taste