I find it annoying how the pre-made salads are so expensive. Especially considering the contents are likely not even close to being organic. Sometimes it just feels good to know what food you are consuming, you know? I decided it was about time I start crafting up some great salads to save money and live with a more healthy conscience! This particular salad works great as the main course due to its calorie value (from the eggs) and the fact that it is so customizable. Also, it’s incredibly easy and fun to experiment with.
(Calories: Approx. 205 without adding any cheese, bacon, croutons, or dressing)
Easy Salad with Eggs
- 5 Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Romaine Heart
- 2 Eggs
- Salad Dressing of Choice
- *Optional* Bacon, Croutons, Feta Cheese, Cucumbers, Green Peppers, etc.
Begin hard-boiling of eggs (see note below on how to hard-boil if needed). Meanwhile, snap off all romaine leaves from heart and wash thoroughly. Break off white-tipped ends and discard, keeping only the green parts. Break all leaves into bite size pieces and spread around a plate. Wash and cut cherry tomatoes into 4 pieces for each tomato. Spread the tomatoes evenly around the plate. Once the eggs are ready, cut each into eighths – this is done by cutting them into halves 3 times. Spread the egg pieces evenly across the plate. Now just add any other of the options or just the dressing and enjoy!
How to hard-boil eggs:
1. Place eggs into a saucepan and cover with cold/room temperature water.
2. Place saucepan on the stove and set heat to medium-high, bringing the water to a boil.
3. Once the water is at a rolling boil, cover saucepan and turn off the heat.
4. Let saucepan sit for about 10 minutes (or longer if still preparing salad anyways).
5. Remove eggs from the saucepan by using a slotted spoon or other utensil and place under cold running water to cool off before cracking.
6. Lightly tap egg on counter or other hard surface, breaking the shell, and carefully start peeling entire shell off.