I remember when making popcorn in of those brand name microwave bags was the best thing ever. They always tasted so salty and buttery that it was hard to ever compare any other popcorn to it. However, now that I’m older and more knowledgeable, I realize that the microwave bags aren’t necessarily the healthiest option when it comes to having popcorn. Not to mention the fact that the most dominant flavor is butter – what if I want something sweet rather than salty?! That being said, I have been making my own popcorn from popcorn kernels for quite some time now and I love it. I know exactly what I’m consuming.
One of my experiments in the kitchen a little while back involved me with a sweet tooth and popcorn kernels on-hand. I came up with this recipe and use it all the time when I get a craving!
Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn
– 1/4 C Yellow Popcorn Kernels
– 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
– 2 tsp Sugar (Or 1 tbsp if you prefer sweeter!)
– 1 tbsp Olive Oil
– Brown Paper Bag
– Coconut Cooking Spray (I buy mine from Trader Joe’s and it’s wonderful with a LOT of things!)
Place the un-popped kernels into the paper bag and add in the olive oil as well. Fold bag top over a few times to secure contents inside and shake the bag until kernels are well coated in oil(5 to 10 seconds of shaking should do it!). Cut a few small holes into the side of the bag and place into the microwave. Cook with the popcorn setting and take out once popping noise begins to slow down(I usually end up with 36 seconds to go when my bags are removed). Place the popcorn into a bowl and spray amply with the coconut spray. Shake some of the cinnamon over the freshly sprayed popcorn as well as half of the sugar being used. Toss popcorn a bit and repeat with the spraying and adding of the remaining sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Enjoy! This recipe is a great light snack that can cure those sugar cravings!
– The Coconut Spray can be substituted for any spray on hand, I just prefer the added taste and health benefits of using coconut
– If you have another method of popping the popcorn(i.e. popper machine) then there is no need for the brown bag and cooking instructions. Just add the good stuff!
– Try a cinnamon/sugar combo spice shaker if one is on hand