It has been WAY too hot outside lately, not to mention no rain for the past 4 days. Needless to say, I have NOT been in the mood for any warm food. Sometimes it’s hard to think of great tasting food to have in the summer besides that of the BBQ variety (at least for me it is!). Today I whipped up something that was more “cold” and also healthy at the same time.
Chicken and Feta Pita
- 2 Pita Breads – Makes 4 halves (I used Arnold brand)
- 8 Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 – 2 C Baby Spinach (Fresh NOT frozen)
- Romaine Lettuce
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 8 TBSP Crumbled Feta Cheese
- Coriander Seasoning
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
Preheat a frying pan with the olive oil. Cut the chicken breasts into thin strips or small pieces. Season by sprinkling the coriander over the chicken and place chicken into the pan. While the chicken cooks, slice the tomatoes into thirds and break up the romaine lettuce into bite sized pieces. Add a layer of spinach leaves to the inside bottom of each pita half. Next add in the romaine and tomato slices. [Try to arrange the tomatoes so that they are evenly spread around the pita, rather than bunched into one area.] Once the chicken is finished cooking, start adding pieces to the pita until each pita has 1/4 of the chicken inside. Lastly, add 2 TBSP of feta cheese to each pita. Easy!
– If you do not have any pitas, use sandwich bread and layer all of the ingredients!
– Add bell peppers, onions, and olives to make this a greek pita
– Add a breading to your chicken for that crispy chicken crunch!